Oklahomans for Criminal Justice Reform (OCJR) is a non-profit organization devoted to repairing Oklahoma’s broken criminal justice system. Oklahoma has the highest incarceration rate in the country, costing taxpayers billions of dollars and while failing to make communities safer. OCJR is working to reduce incarceration, save taxpayer dollars, keep families together, and encourage investment in alternatives to prison.
The Deputy Director Position
OCJR is seeking a dynamic individual to serve as its full time Deputy Director. The Deputy Director supports the Executive Director and will act as a strategist, consultant and implementer, responsible for executing the organization’s strategic plan and meeting its goals as defined by the Board of Directors and Executive Director. The Deputy Director will ensure streamlined activities within the organization based on the priorities of the Executive Director and will handle day-to-day management of staff and partners to allow the Executive Director to focus on achieving the organization’s mission.
- Supervising staff, including the Directors of Policy, Operations, and Engagement.
- Ensuring any staff issues are addressed properly, and keeping track of progress until resolved.
- Directing daily operations.
- Following best practices for non-profit management.
- Maintaining organizational efficiency.
- Ensuring fiscal responsibility.
- Ensuring that all internal work is aligned and communicated effectively across OCJR.
- Serving as media spokesperson for the Executive Director and the organization.
- In collaboration with the Director of Engagement, establishing and maintaining productive relationships with key influencers, state and federal policymakers, community leaders, partners and other stakeholders.
- In collaboration with Executive Director and Director of Engagement, identify and recruit additional stakeholders to participate in criminal justice reform work.
- Working with OCJR research partners to prepare information for sharing with target audiences, including legislative and executive branch policymakers.
- Producing reports for the Board of Directors and other stakeholders.
- In collaboration with the Director of Policy, soliciting input and providing information to legislative and executive branch policymakers.
- Ensure the development of regular reports and community gatherings to highlight progress.
- Representing OCJR at events, as requested by the Executive Director.
- Managing and directing communications with stakeholders, funders, partners and contractors.
Strategic Planning & Project Management
- Working with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and stakeholders to develop a strategic plan that will drive forward criminal justice reform in Oklahoma.
- Manage implementation of the strategies.
- Providing direction, strategy, information and recommendations to coalition partners and professionals who communicate with government officials on behalf of OCJR.
- Positioning OCJR as a leader and trusted policy authority in the criminal justice reform movement.
- Ensuring compliance with tax laws, under the direction of tax professionals.
- Ensuring compliance with ethics laws and responsibilities applicable to OCJR and affiliated organizations.
Requirements and Qualifications
- 10+ years experience in a managerial/operational role.
- Expertise managing complex stakeholder relationships.
- Strong project management skills and ability to juggle multiple projects at one time.
- Advanced strategy and planning skills, including ability to think strategically on both organizational and systemic levels.
- Track record of success building and scaling up a young organization.
- Experience in a relevant subject matter sector: criminal justice, civil rights, human services or public policy.
OCJR values a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to arrest or conviction, race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Deputy Director Application"